I fell asleep in laundry,
baby rolls and wrinkled toes,
and you were there to see it and know
all I needed
was a beer
maybe it's because they say:
"the apple falls not far from the tree"
...but did they know?
listen:
remember that time
I first rode on two wheels?
you were there to take off the training ones,
kiss my shins,
and patch my soles
worn by pavement tread and childhood dreams
remember that time
I was Minnie Mouse,
and you, my bodyguard?
I laughed in rouge cheeks,
heavysweetcandybuttersmile;
you grinned and said,
"don't get yourself sick"
and held my hand when I did
remember those Sundays?
when we'd float into Monday,
lazy...
just like the charcoal-salmon-onion-smoke rising in our front yard
where you sat,
malt beer in hand,
watching that rusty old grill
remember that time
I first switched gears?
in that little red car, we traveled neighborhood streets
(and I still thought 25 mph was fast)
you said:
"there will be stalls,
but there will always be a start"
remember all those apples you bought?
sweet braeburn,
those were our favorites;
I always liked the way they looked in their
orange, plastic
bowl:
fruit parade, kitchen glow
and do you remember that time
we first said goodbye?
I cried.
you stood there and said:
"you're beautiful..."
(I never knew it, but for you,
I believed it)
"...I'm so proud"
(and I hoped it was true)
they say
"the apple falls not far from the tree"
but what if apples turned into trees
and I grew beside you...
I'd say trees are the best observers
but trees grow older too, you know:
they have the rings to prove their years
and how wise they've become...
and I don't think I've ever seen as many rings
as I do on you
sometimes I wonder,
how many of my rings,
I'll get growing next to you.

this is one of the best poems I have ever read. so many incredible lines
ReplyDelete"remember those Sundays?/when we'd float into Monday," and
"I'd say trees are the best observers/but trees grow older too, you know:/they have the rings to prove their years/and how wise they've become.../and I don't think I've ever seen as many rings/as I do on you"
thank goodness you've put them online so everyone can read them now.